Hattie Morahan’s been cast as Beatrice-Joanna in The Changeling
by Thomas Middleton & William Rowley
Gangsta Avengers AU
Wherein the avengers are a secret vigilante group that eventually find each other and go after criminals the hard way.
Some body write this who isn’t me.
*casually slips these in*
Literally just happened:
"is that an Avengers gangster AUOHMYGOD *screech*"
Let me just add this….
I’ll just leave this here..
I’m so down for this!!
Can somebody do the thing where they write the thing and then tag me in the thing?
Okay yes this…. but in 1930s Shanghai? It’s got the jazz and the sleazy/sultry nightclubs and the international cosmopolitan thing…
And with more ladies who don’t give a shit?
And class divisions? (The International Concession vs. Shanghai vs. countryside)
And impending war? (Japanese movements in Manchuria…)
And espionage? (Spying for the Americans, the British, the Japanese, the Nationalists, the Communists…)
(Movie images taken from hasty searches for Shanghai Triad, White Countess, and Lust Caution. None of which are *good* movies, but decently show 1930s Shanghai…)
Um, only if they can manage to do it without exoticism and fetishizing the Shanghainese women. I’d rather it be all Western than check off all the Yellow Fever tropes like they usually do.
100% agree with you!!! I was worried about the same thing when I was putting these images together — not just exotification of Chinese women, but also contrasting the “civilized” West with the impoverished China. But honestly, given how little response I get whenever I veer off of the typical fandom “sad boys kissing” tropes or the standard genderbends, and into the more exciting nation/race-bends, I don’t think anyone’s gonna do it. So I guess I feel safe proposing this given that the 10 people who’d appreciate it are probably also people who wouldn’t fetishize/exoticize it?
Anyway, how I would see it working is:
- Nat is a Chinese, possibly communist, Spy
- Tony is Chinese-American, back in Shanghai to re-invest. He’s trying to build the most ostentatious thing on the Bund.
- Steve is still American, grew up in New York, and he just spent his last dollar buying a ticket to Shanghai — coming here to try his luck.
- Sam is still American, was stationed in the Philippines, but fell in love with Shanghai and so came to Shanghai once he got out of the military. Him and Steve meet up and rent a small apartment by the horse-racing tracks.
- Bucky is still American — as a boy he lived in New York, but then his parents moved to the International Concession, so he grew up in Shanghai. He enjoys the Concession nightclubs, but sometimes he puts on a hat and goes out to explore the rest of Shanghai with some of his Chinese friends. If he’s lucky, people don’t notice he’s white until halfway through a fight. He meets Steve in one such fight. They might have been childhood friends in New York, but Shanghai changes people.
- Pierce is Japanese, or possibly Chinese-Japanese, and talks about the importance of Westernization, hobnobs around the International quarter, but also goes to all the underground meetings.
- Fury is Chinese and runs one of the underground networks. Which Nat works for. Fury and Pierce studied together in Japan.
JUSTIN TAYLOR APPRECIATION WEEK
- Day 3 (October 14): favorite relationship: Justin & Brian
This is honestly the best poster I have found in a while supporting breast cancer awareness. I am honestly so sick of seeing, “set the tatas free” and “save the boobies”. There is no reason in hell a life threatening, life ruining disease should be sexualized. “Don’t wear a bra day,” go fuck yourselves. You’re not saving a pair of tits, you’re saving the entire package: mind, body, and soul included. Women are not just a pair of breasts.
Doing theatre is stressful, but theatre stress is a different kind of stress. Theatre stress is stress that I want; it’s stress that I crave. I thrive off of it. Theatre stress is good stress, because theatre is my passion.
In the Flesh + Real World Issues